All digital billboard companies need to maintain their billboard security. It’s very important to your business and to your clients also. I’ve posted some easy tips below that everyone should practice in the digital billboard business.
1) Make sure your passwords are strong. At least 12 characters, including lower-case, upper-case, numbers and symbols.
2) Make sure your cameras are functioning properly. Check them regularly. In the event of an emergency, you are going to need to be able to quickly view them.
3) Lock Boxes are great to keep people out of the electrical components. Also, making sure there is not access to your ladder so people don’t climb your structures to gain access that way. Also having a way to remotely shut off the power to your billboard is a great asset. We recommend using SmartLink.
4) Change password often. At least every year. Your billboard security depends on it.
5) Keep track to who all has access to your billboards. Former employees are a potential risk. Make sure to change all passwords and login details when an employee leaves.
6) Never share passwords or leave the application open when you are finished. It’s best not to use public computers or untrusted wifi sources. We recommend using your phones mobile wifi if you have it. Wifi in a public space (ie: hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.) can easily be hacked and monitored. Scammers often set up fake wifi points at these places to make you think they are real, when in fact when you log on, the can see all your personal information including passwords.
7) If you have clients that post their own content (artwork) to your displays, never grant them full access. Instead, make sure you have to approve their content before it goes live. This is probably the most important piece of the puzzle. As you don’t know who your client has given access to their account and how secure their passwords are.