vel’OH!, the self-service e-bike system operated by JCDecaux in Luxembourg, is a success with more than 800,000 rentals in 2021
JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC), the number one outdoor advertising company worldwide and the pioneer in self-service bike rentals, announces that the vel’OH! service posted a record 400% increase in rentals in 2021 versus 2018. The vel’OH! system is included in the contract won by JCDecaux in 2017 that focuses on street furniture and electric self-service bikes in Luxembourg City. Luxembourg City is one of the first European capital cities to benefit from a service with 100% self-service electric bikes.
JCDecaux operates 1,000 vel’OH! in 116 docking stations across an extended network encompassing the surrounding municipalities. With its on-board battery system that can be recharged at docking stations, vel’OH! is a byword for freedom for each user. Specially adapted for Luxembourg City’s steep landscape, these electric bikes can reach 25km/h, allowing users to travel much further distances and more easily reach docking stations located in higher parts of the city.
Luxembourg City’s development of a fleet of 100% self-service electric bikes is a win-win decision. Registering more than 20,000 long-term subscribers as of 31 December 2021 (i.e., 150% more than the end of 2018), self-service bikes are an increasingly popular form of transport among Luxembourg City residents and visitors. The success of the service was confirmed in 2021 with more than 800,000 rentals, representing an increase of 400% on 2018 (new vel’OH! commissioning date). In 2021, the self-service bike service also registered over 50,000 short-term tickets. This performance was all the more remarkable considering that 2021 was hard hit by business and travel restrictions owing to the health situation.
The vel’OH! service, which was modernised and expanded in 2018 with the roll-out of rechargeable electric self-service bikes, has been a real success with users. The electric self-service bikes have not only optimised the user experience, but also promoted multimodal mobility. Leveraging its innovation and technological expertise, JCDecaux is at the forefront of green mobility, as it supports the capital of Luxembourg to develop new travel routes, as it has already done in 54 cities worldwide where JCDecaux operates its self-service bikes.
The success of the Vélo’v service in the municipalities of Greater Lyon and the unprecedented increase in rentals achieved in 2021 by the vel’OH! service, confirms the reliability of JCDecaux’s self-service bikes. Quality of service and maintenance, the network of stations, 24/7 availability and responsive customer service are at the heart of user satisfaction.
Patrick Goldschmidt, Alderman for mobility, said: “Since the introduction in 2018 of self-service electrically assisted bicycles, the vel’OH! bike has gradually become part of the fabric of the urban landscape of the capital. Today, the vel’OH! is an integral part of the City’s multimodal mobility concept. Thanks to electric assistance and an extensive network, which currently includes 88 stations strategically located throughout the capital, our service to a growing number of people, recognises the benefits of the bicycle as an eco-friendly and healthy means of transport”.
Jean-Charles Decaux, Co-Chief Executive Officer of JCDecaux, said: “We are delighted by the success of vel’OH! with Luxembourg City residents and visitors, and I wish to thank Luxembourg’s capital city for the trust they have placed in us. The record number of rentals for 2021 confirms the adoption of the bicycle as a sustainable mode of transport for the public’s daily journeys. With its self-service manual and electric bike solutions, JCDecaux is contributing to the development of the modal share of bicycles in urban travel. As a pioneer in green mobility since 2003, JCDecaux has developed unrivalled experience and expertise in the management of self-service bicycle fleets. I would like to thank our JCDecaux teams who work tirelessly each day to make it easier for vel’OH! users to travel, contributing to our customer satisfaction.”
For more information: veloh.vdl.lu
- 2020 revenue: €2,312m – 9M 2021 revenue: €1,789m
- N°1 Out-of-Home Media company worldwide
- A daily audience of more than 840 million people in more than 80 countries
- 964,760 advertising panels worldwide
- Present in 3,670 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- 10,230 employees
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and Euronext Family Business indexes
- JCDecaux is recognised for its extra-financial performance in the CDP (A-List), FTSE4Good (4.6/5) and MSCI (AAA) rankings
- 1st Out-of-Home Media company to join the RE100 (committed to 100% renewable energy)
- Leader in self-service bike rental scheme: pioneer in eco-friendly mobility
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (489,500 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in transport advertising with 156 airports and 249 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (329,790 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (129,970 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (615,530 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Asia-Pacific (216,590 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (66,120 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (22,500 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle East (15,350 advertising panels)