Most Popular Public Service Announcement (PSA) Billboard Messages
Utilizing your open billboard space to promote a good cause is a noble gesture for the people in your community. Many non-profits have limited advertising budgets to utilize any advertising, so they often turn to out-of-home companies to help get the word out. The most popular causes are listed below…
Cancer (Breast Cancer)
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Many medical facilities run these PSAs in their digital billboard spots to promote awareness. If you have open space, you may consider running them yourself. To download Breast Cancer Awareness Month ads see this article.
Animals/Pet PSA Billboards
Consider running promotion billboard ads for your local animal shelter or the ASPCA. Topics to promote include pet adoption, spay/neuter, etc. We have some free promotional ads in multiple sizes that you can run as well here.
Children & Youth PSA Billboards
These PSAs can include everything from Drug Coalitions to Amber Alerts.
Domestic Violence PSA Billboards
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Disability PSA Billboards
Disability PSA announcements can include messages about people with mental and physical disabilities as well as promoting job opportunities for people with disabilities like the ad shown below.
Disaster Relief PSA Billboards
These PSA messages include wildfires, tornados, hurricane relief, etc. They often include where you can go to donate.
Hunger & Poverty PSA Billboards
An estimated 12.7% of Americans are affected by Hunger and poverty. If this issue is something you feel strongly about, consider running some PSA ads to help inform your community about what they can do to help.
Military Charities PSA Billboards
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) is a nonprofit organization that helps veterans and service members who have physical or mental injuries, illnesses, or wounds from serving in the military since September 11, 2001.
Local PSAs Within Your Community
Displaying PSA messages on your billboards that directly relate to your community is perhaps the most important thing you can do as they directly relate to the everyday lives of the people in your area.
These can include:
- Local traffic alerts and road closures
- Missing people
- Weather warnings
- Local community non-profits and charitable organizations
- Free public events: fairs and carnivals, job fairs, church events, etc.
- Local school information: registration, closings, etc.
- Consider reaching out to existing advertisers who you think may want to run “sponsored” PSA messages on their existing billboards.
- Many government-funded non-profit agencies do have funds available for advertising on billboards. Consider reaching out to your local Anti-Drug Coalitions to see if they have any advertising dollars they would like to utilize in out-of-home.
- The website OOHforGood.com has pre-made PSA ads for billboard companies to run.
- Partner with your local Emergency Management Agency for local, up-to-date messages and warnings you can post as they happen.
- The website PassItOn.com also has pre-made PSA ads for billboard companies to run in available spots.